[MAIPC] FW: New Leaders, Lobby Night, Outdoor Leader Training, Anne Arundel Dinner, Post your events, Looking for a volunteer who's good with details!

Marc Imlay ialm at erols.com
Mon Jan 25 05:19:32 PST 2016

National Invasive Species Awareness Week Fair/reception

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Time:

4:00 PM to 7:00 PM

Presented by:

Maryland Chapter

Leader:

Marc Imlay - 301-283-0808
<mailto:ialm at erols.com?subject=National+Invasive+Species+Awareness+Week+Fair
%2Freception> ialm at erols.com

Location:

NISAW Fair/reception in room B-354 of the Rayburn House Office building,
Washington DC 20515

National Invasive Species Awareness Week February 21-27, 2016 - Save the
Date! NISAW Fair/reception in room B-354 of the Rayburn House Office
building, Washington DC, from 4 pm-7pm, February 25 National Invasive
Species Awareness Week is a great time to get started on management and
control of invasive species. Start by constructing a management plan or
meeting with a committee to implement the control. Take time to plan an
event or join a working group with the same goals as you on controlling
invasives. Talk with a representative to encourage more funds and research
for fighting these species that are rapidly invading our forests and parks.
It is also a great time to learn about new invasives so you can hit the
ground running this spring. A new invasive of concern to our region is the
wavyleaf basketgrass (Oplismenus undulatifolius)..WLBG has been found too
difficult to control in the Mid-Atlantic region by cut, pull, and spray. It
is the species most in need of biological control research in our region.
(Now that Japanese Stiltgrass is already being researched by the $50,000
USFS grant). We can also facilitate biocontrol research on Fig
Buttercup/Lesser Celandine. We will have a table at the congressional
reception, with the annual NISAW fair, on Feb 25. Please come and join us at
the table if you can. Please send handouts, including items on invasive
species control important for your locations to present at our table.
Congressional staff and other guests will be invited to arrive at 4pm to
interact with exhibitors, and around 4:30 pm the food will begin to be
served. The program will begin at 5 pm and continue to about 6 pm, and the
reception will continue until 7 pm. At 7 pm, exhibitors will be asked to
pack up their exhibits, and we have to vacate the room by 8pm. Congressional
staff really like hands-on exhibits, so all exhibitors should try to be
creative in that regard. Realize that most of the Congressional staff
attending were likely government majors in college, so select and tailor
your materials to effectively educate non-biologists.

<http://tioga.sierraclub.org/oars-activity/pages/activity.jsf?activity=95482

http://tioga.sierraclub.org/oars-activity/pages/activity.jsf?activity=95482

---