[MAIPC] post forest fire study site

Richard Gardner rtgardner3 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 25 06:53:49 PDT 2016

  A few years ago there was a two week long forest fire in the southeast corner of French Creek State Park near the Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site on the border of Berks and Chester counties, Pennsylvania. I was there this past Tuesday. It was fascinating to say the least. I also hiked there a couple times this past winter to check it out. The differences between dormancy and non-dormancy were exciting. In the process of the hike last week, I also logged, with GPS points, 300+ American Chestnut trees. (Logged 200+ more along the Darlington Trail near Carlisle, PA yesterday, too.)

 Anyway, if anyone is in the area, it is a fascinating place to see recovery from a forest fire and document the changes. Even though it was an uncontrolled burn, it may be a good model for controlled burns. I plan to be there several more times over the summer to finish the chestnut survey, if anyone wants to join me.

                                                                                                                                                                                       Richard Gardner