[MAIPC] [APWG] Attacking Invasive Cheatgrass At the Root

Marc Imlay ialm at erols.com
Fri Sep 9 11:28:06 PDT 2016

Wow.

From: APWG [mailto:apwg-bounces at lists.plantconservation.org] On Behalf Of Lisa Feldkamp
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2016 1:05 PM
To: apwg at lists.plantconservation.org
Subject: [APWG] Attacking Invasive Cheatgrass At the Root

Hi,

I work for the Nature Conservancy’s Cool Green Science blog.

This week I covered some promising research by Ann Kennedy that is using native Washington State soil microbes to inhibit the growth of cheatgrass roots. This gives native plants a chance to compete and within about 3-5 years the cheatgrass is wiped out from the area: http://blog.nature.org/science/2016/09/07/attacking-invasive-cheatgrass-root-soil-microbes-biocontrol-sage/

Where they are able to successfully apply the bacteria, they’re finding that by year 3 there is a 50% reduction in cheatgrass. I thought that you would all be interested to learn more.

Cheers,
Lisa

“Stop, collaborate, and listen.” ~ Vanilla Ice (Robert Van Winkle)

Lisa Feldkamp

Science Communications

The Nature Conservancy

lfeldkamp at tnc.org