[MAIPC] Lecture by Larry Weaner, co-author of "Garden Revolution: How Our Landscapes Can Be a Source of Environmental Change"

Donald Callihan don_ihan at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 9 09:32:52 PDT 2016

Colleagues,

For those of us that work to reintroduce native plants while battling NNIs,
there is an opportunity to hear about re-creating native landscapes from
Larry Weaner, a co-author of the recently published book, "Garden
Revolution: How Our Landscapes Can Be a Source of Environmental Change".

http://lweanerassociates.com/?p=3667

http://www.timberpress.com/books/garden_revolution/weaner/9781604696165?utm_
source=Homepage&utm_medium=Interstitial&utm_campaign=GardenRevolution

"The Lake Roland Nature Council and Guilford Garden Club will present a
lecture by author and landscape designer Larry Weaner Sept. 22, 2016 at 6:30
p.m. in the Nature and Environmental Education Center at Lake Roland. Weaner
and his associates will discuss science-based natural landscape design,
their past projects and the landscape design vision for Lake Roland
ecological landscape design with native plants." - Press release attached.

Weaner and Associates will be helping the Lake Roland Nature Council to
develop a master plan to reestablish areas of Lake Roland Park that include
one of the few remaining serpentine barrens in Maryland. The area is now
home to large stands of NNIs including Miscanthus,  Elaeagnus umbellate,
Berberis thunbergii, and lots of others, as you would expect, but there is
an interesting inventory of native species.

If you'd like to hear more about Weaner's approach and the book, listen to a
recent podcast.
http://www.nativeplantpodcast.com/podcasts-1/2016/7/25/larry-weaner-and-his-
new-book-garden-revolution

While we struggle to reclaim areas from NNI plant infestations, we don't
always have effective methods that allow natives or less aggressive local
"weeds" to become reestablished. Weaner's approach is worth considering.

Best regards,

Don

Donald Callihan

Maryland Master Naturalist (Intern)