[MAIPC] USDA Secretary designee Sonny Perdue of Georgia

Phytodoer at aol.com Phytodoer at aol.com
Thu Jan 19 08:12:30 PST 2017

Forest pest mavens,

we have finally learned who the next Secretary of Agriculture will  be.  I
am hopeful - Georgia has significant natural resources - including  both
hardwood and pine forests; it has suffered significant damage from an
introduced forest pest (redbay ambrosia beetle & laurel wilt disease) and  several
(!) invasive plants - and Georgia officials have put lots of energy into
combatting at least some of these.  So we can hope that the former Governor
knows something about invasive species.

On the other hand, I expect he strongly supported expansion of Savannah
harbor into the largest container port on the East coast.

I encourage all who have contacts with officials in Georgia; or Senators -
especially those on the Agriculture Committee - to act now to ensure that
they  know how important a strong APHIS-led invasive species prevention
program  is.

Faith Campbell