[MAIPC] the economic cost of stormwater damage caused by invasive species

Marc Imlay ialm at erols.com
Fri Jan 20 02:00:26 PST 2017

In order to justify invasive plant control funding to reduce the cost of
stormwater management, we especially need the contribution by stormwater
management experts. Who can provide us an estimate of the storm water
management costs along streams? In our region, Japanese Stiltgrass typically
covers 20% of the habitat. With this cost information we can estimate the
economic contribution of Japanese Stiltgrass to be ~ 20% of the expenditures
for storm water management along the steam since it doubles the amount of
storm water runoff.  Follow up studies will be needed, of course, including
info about other invasive plants species that increase storm water runoff.
But at least this will be a start. Even costs for just one stream would be
helpful. Thanks so much.

Marc Imlay, PhD, Chair, Biological control working Group, Mid-Atlantic
Invasive Plant Council

Conservation biologist, Park Ranger Office, Non-native Invasive Plant
Control coordinator.
(301) 442-5657 cell   <mailto:ialm at erols.com> ialm at erols.com
Natural and Historical Resources Division
The  Maryland-National   Capital   Park  and Planning Commission
 <http://www.pgparks.com/> www.pgparks.com