[MAIPC] Deer browsing on euonymus

Stephen Hiltner stevehiltner at gmail.com
Thu May 4 05:55:03 PDT 2017

Great to hear of another native euonymus species. I'd be amazed if deer
would begin preferring E. alatus over E. americanus, even if E. alatus
becomes more numerous. The deer love E. americanus so much, in Princeton,
NJ, that we have only two known clumps of E. americanus in the whole town
that grow large enough to fruit, due apparently to chance protection from
deer by surrounding invasives. Any others, rarely encountered, are a few
inches high. The deer definitely browse the resprouts of E. alatus, but
we'll have to see if they can keep it all contained as we cut more and more
of the mature shrubs down. Naive, I'm sure, not to use herbicide on the
stumps, but the deer collaboration is an interesting experiment. Deer also
browse resprouts of multiflora rose effectively. Hoping this collaboration
could some day extend to privet and bush honeysuckle.