[MAIPC] Deer browsing on euonymus

John Ambler john.ambler at verizon.net
Wed May 3 17:29:45 PDT 2017

Steve,

I work on removing invasive shrubs in Lancaster Co. Central Park’s Kiwanis natural area.  I too see a lot of browsing on Euonymus alatus.  But some will escape and grow large enough to fruit.  I am working on removing the fruiting shrubs.  I also remove some of the smaller ones until patience wears out – there are large numbers of them under fruiting shrubs and scattered 100 ft. away by birds.  Fortunately they are easy to pull.

This county park also also has some native Euonymus atropurpureus, which is not very common in Lancaster Co.  I think they survive mainly where the deer don’t go.  They occur on limestone soils.  Here is a photo of their interesting fruit from  Dec. 6, 2015.

John Ambler

Lancaster, PA