[MAIPC] Glyphosate's effects on trees and soil microbia

HTI Gmail historictimekeepers at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 08:06:51 PDT 2017

Damien

Very prescient timing.  I am just now reading "The Hidden Half of
Nature" which is a good presentation of soil ecology for the layman.

I am impressed by the interaction among bacteria, fungi and plants in
the rhizosphere of plant roots.  The discussion of how the agrichemical
culture disrupts the effectiveness of microbe ecology (reducing the
beneficial microbes that consume plant exudates thus allowing the
pathogenic microbes to dominate) is pretty convincing.

While this is not a definitive argument against glyphosate, it does give
some credence to the premise of those concerned.

The counter argument of course is that we have used glyphosate for years
to manage invasive species and the soil ecology seems to recover.  Also,
I would weigh the relative risks of allowing invasives to take over
(with the resulting impact of THEIR exudates on the soil ecology) vs.
keeping them at bay and maintaining the soil ecology that is decided
that "should" be there.

I really think the issue is the long term relative risk of non treatment
vs. treatment.  Even if there are definitive data to demonstrate that
glyphosate harms the soil ecology, what is that impact relative to
allowing a monoculture of stiltgrass (or WLBG) develop?  We KNOW (I
think?) these invasives have extensive and long term impacts on soil
ecology.

Kind of like oral contraceptives.  We know there are risks associated
with their use.  But, those risks are minuscule compared to the risks
associated with pregnancy and child birth. (used to work in maternal
health).

Will follow this discussion with interest!  Thanks for bringing it up.

Regards,

Dewey Clark
Club Naturalist
Co-District Manager (PA)