[MAIPC] looking for wavyleaf!

Beauchamp, Vanessa B. VBeauchamp at towson.edu
Tue Jun 12 12:19:00 PDT 2018

Hi all,

This message may have already gone to some of you, so my apologies if you're getting it again. My colleague, Carrie Wu, at the University of Richmond is looking for wavyleaf samples for a genetic study she's conducting. If you are able, please sample some wavyleaf from your favorite locations and send it to her. Thanks!

*********

I'm in the early stages of conducting a wavyleaf basketgrass population spatial genetic analysis, and am again asking for help collecting tissue (and possibly seed) samples from across the known invasion range. I'm interested in connectivity across the landscape, and am trying to understand the routes and mechanisms of spread, to better inform management efforts.

To do this, I need tissue samples from as many populations across the region as possible. Crowd-sourcing and community science to the rescue!

Tissue sampling is pretty straight forward, especially if the plants aren't too wet.  I can send a detailed protocol if requested.  In brief,

  *   Record collector and site information, including GPS coordinates
  *   Collect at least 3-4 leaves (or entire stalks!) per plant into coin envelopes/regular envelopes/paper bags
  *   If storing for an extended time, lace filled envelopes in a plastic bag with a little silica drying gel (or the "Do Not Eat" packets)
  *   When sampling multiple plants per population, separate collections by at least 1 meter
  *   Mail them to me!
Thank you, thank you to those of you who have sent me samples in previous summers; I still have those samples archived and am starting to process them now that my lab group has developed the necessary genetic markers.

And of course, please share this request widely with colleagues who you think might also be able to help!  I am happy to offset collecting/shipping costs as needed.

Many thanks,
Carrie
__________________
Carrie Wu, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Biology
University of Richmond
28 Westhampton Way
Richmond, VA 23173

Office:   A114 Gottwald Science Center
Phone:  804-289-8712

[Towson University logo]

Vanessa Beauchamp * Associate Professor
Department of Biological Sciences<http://www.towson.edu/fcsm/departments/biology/>
Towson University<http://www.towson.edu/> * 8000 York Road * Towson, Maryland,  21252-0001
p. 410-704-2286 * f. 410-704-2405

Confidentiality Notice: This message may contain information that is confidential, privileged, proprietary, or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are not authorized to read, print, copy or disseminate this message, any part of it, or any attachments. If this message has been sent to you in error, please notify the sender by replying to this transmission, or by calling Department of Biological Sciences at 410-704-2286.