[MAIPC] Faith's new blog - study supports value of targetted phytosanitary measures

phytodoer at aol.com phytodoer at aol.com
Wed Jun 13 06:14:35 PDT 2018

hello, tree pest mavens!

I have posted a new blog based on a recent study of New Zealand's biosecurity program.  The study finds that targetted phytosanitary measures can slow introductions of pathogens - in many ways the most difficult types of non-native plant pests.

It also raises some questions that probably apply to most countries, including the absence of data supporting efficacy of post-entry quarantine measures.  I find that alarming!  Does anyone have a comment based on your experience?

The study does not include pathogens threatening New Zealand's unique native forest trees. I visited New Zealand in 2004 and am devastated by what is happening to the huge kauri trees (see attached).

I just returned from a trip from DC to Carlisle, PA. The route was lined by dead ash trees - I was surprised by how many used to grow in the Piedmont / Mountains of the region. I was also surprised that managers of the Dickinson College farm seemed unaware of the spotted lanternfly.  !!!!

Faith