[MAIPC] Honeysuckle Chipping

Alison Pearce Alison.Pearce at anshome.org
Wed Mar 21 11:30:35 PDT 2018

Hi everyone,
Does anyone have information about whether it is advisable to leave wood chips in place when removing amur honeysuckle from a forest?  I am planning to cut our dense infestation of honeysuckle at Woodend Nature Sanctuary and treat stumps with glyphosate.  We have a spicebush population that hopefully will benefit from the reduced competition, plus we will be doing restoration planting of tree seedlings, shrub and herbaceous species.  My concern is whether the allelopathic effects of amur honeysuckle arise only from root exudates of live plants or whether decaying honeysuckle woodchips would also suppress other vegetation.
Any advice would be much appreciated,
Alison

[cid:ansclrtagresizedcrop076065]        Alison Pearce, PhD

Alison Pearce, PhD
Director of Restoration
Audubon Naturalist Society
8940 Jones Mill Road