[MAIPC] honeysuckle chipping

Pia van de Venne pia.parkprotector at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 09:01:18 PDT 2018

hello Alison,

It is none of my business of course, but I think that Cynthia Huebner of
the Forest Service would know more about this issue than anybody else.
Cynthia is not talking about allelopathic problems with honeysuckles, she
mentions that all non native live vegetation is not the good debris for the
forest floor when it is decomposing. She states that it changes the
chemical structure of the soil; hence our approach by making piles of
invasive debris that do not touch the ground ( on top of dead trunks and
branches). Dead nonnative debris is fine to touch the ground.
Maybe I did not explain this correctly, but nobody who responded to your
email has really addressed the issue in the same way as Cynthia Huebner
does.

Since we have this approach I see a wealth of native shrubs coming back in
areas where the honey suckle bushes and some privet, burnng bush,
multiflora, were so extremely dense that there was no sign of native
shrubs. Gray dogwood, flowering dogwood, hawthorns and others were of
course in there but sparse and not visible.

Good luck with your project. In my opinion, natural regeneration of native
plants is wonderful and if possible should be allowed by removing non
native debris. To make it look better you could bring in bags of native
leaves and wood chips from native trees.

I am sure you are not happy with my email, but I always fight for mother
earth!

Pia van de Venne, Murrysville PA