[MAIPC] [Maipc-brd] Fwd: Garlic Mustard scarce this season, in 2018?

Mark Frey runcator at gmail.com
Sat May 5 11:00:09 PDT 2018

I have seen typically dense stands of rosettes in the DC metro area this
season so I don't think it was cold enough to kill at least around here.
And, based on my research in Ohio, focused on garlic mustard with winter
temperatures into the teens, garlic mustard overwintered just fine. Today I
led a volunteer group and we pulled 21 garbage bags full of second year
plants, so there is still plenty around! And, it is definitely not too
early for healthy rosettes. Seedlings emerge in ~February so they have had
about 10 weeks to develop.

Vicky Nuzzo and Bernd Blossey (and others) have put forward the idea that
garlic mustard has gone through a decline in density in some areas. I don't
recall if they were saying that decline is only in areas with long invasion
histories or in other areas too. I think They talked about it at a MA-IPC
event in Pennsylvania in about 2001 (at the Morris Arb?).

Mark Frey