[MAIPC] biological control for Japanese Honeysuckle

Marc Imlay ialm at erols.com
Sat Apr 20 07:25:55 PDT 2019

A butterfly is being used in New Zealand to control Japanese Honeysuckle. It
is probably not host specific for America. But be on the look out for a
native American moth or pathogen controlling Japanese Honeysuckle in
America.  As Matt says "Also the more eyes we have looking for severe
dieback events, the better our odds."

Marc Imlay, PhD,

Chair, MAIPC Biological Control Working Group

Natural Places Committee Chair, Maryland Sierra Club

Conservation Biologist, Park Ranger Office, Non-native Invasive Plant
Control Coordinator.

Natural and Historical Resources Division

The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission

JAPANESE HONEYSUCKLE APPLICATION (WHITE ADMIRAL BUTTERFLY)

An application to release the white admiral butterfly (Limenitis glorifica)
was approved by the EPA in August 2013. This is the first of several
proposed biocontrol agents that will work together to help control Japanese
honeysuckle in New Zealand.

https://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/science/plants-animals-fungi/plants/weeds
/biocontrol/approvals/completed/japanese-honeysuckle