[MAIPC] Invasive plants and climate change

Judy Fulton jfulton5 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 10:13:46 PST 2019

When people mention groundsel tree, I'm assuming that they are referring
to Baccharis halimifolia. This species is a native to the Coastal Plain
ecoregions throughout the mid-Atlantic, but it is becoming adventive in
the Piedmont and various mountain ecoregions. I agree with Margaret
Chatham that a likely reason for this movement is salt tolerance -- I
see the plant fairly frequently in the difficult strip next to highways
that have been treated with salt. So, I'm not sure that Baccharis
halimifolia is going to become a problem.

Judy

Judith P. Fulton
EcoPlant Consulting: Native and Invasive Plants
Master Gardener, University of Maryland Extension
Chair, Maryland Invasive Species Council Subcommittee on Invasives Lists
Board, Mid-Atlantic Invasive Plant Council
410-337-3701
jfulton5 at gmail.com <mailto:jfulton5 at gmail.com>