[MAIPC] Invasive plants and climate change

Judy Fulton jfulton5 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 11:08:34 PST 2019

Yes, I am really seeing Miscanthus sinensis spreading throughout
Baltimore County and other areas in Maryland. I think that it is further
along the invasive curve than black fountain grass (Cenchrus
purpurascens aka Pennisetum alopecuroides), but I am now seeing C.
purpurascens starting to spread in the wild. I believe that we need to
pay attention right away to this new invader, its cultivars and closely
related species, including purple fountain grass (Cenchrus setaceus aka
Pennisetum setaceum).

Judy

Judith P. Fulton
EcoPlant Consulting: Native and Invasive Plants
Master Gardener, University of Maryland Extension
Chair, Maryland Invasive Species Council Subcommittee on Invasives Lists
Board, Mid-Atlantic Invasive Plant Council
410-337-3701
jfulton5 at gmail.com <mailto:jfulton5 at gmail.com>