[MAIPC] garlic mustard weevil biocontrol released in Ontario

Judith Hough-Goldstein jhough at udel.edu
Fri Jan 25 08:03:45 PST 2019

Great news!
According to the project website "the USDA-APHIS Technical Advisory Group
(TAG) recommended field release in February 2017. The weevil now has to
pass further US environmental regulations (section 7 consultation with US
Fish and Wildlife Service, tribal and public consultations etc.) before
being permitted for release."
So unless there's an update, it can't be released in the US yet. Like the
swallowwort biocontrol agent, it will be a race between the insect moving
on its own from Canada and the decision-making process in the US...