[MAIPC] Invasive plants and climate change

Mike Van Clef mike.vanclef at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 07:18:05 PST 2019

Hi Damien,

Over the last 25 years, here are some best guesses on increases in
abundance and/or spread northward in NJ that could be related to climate
change:

English Ivy (seems really strong -- large infestations from south and
becoming more abundant in north)
Japanese Wisteria (colonies seem larger, still not too much spread from
seed?)
Porcelainberry (spread from south and coastal to interior)
Wintercreeper (new and larger colonies)
Boston Ivy (maybe still too cold, but some limited spreading)
Norway Maple (some more spreading rather than more exclusive appearance in
urban parks)
Kudzu (larger infestations? Beginning to produce seed in southern NY --
Linda Rohleder)

Probably others, would need to think about it some more.

-Mike

Michael Van Clef, Ph.D.
Stewardship Director, Friends of Hopewell Valley Open Space
Program Director, New Jersey Invasive Species Strike Team
Principal, Ecological Solutions, LLC

Office: 609-730-1560
Mobile: 908-528-6674