[MAIPC] Angelica elata winter ID?

Muth, Norris (MUTH) MUTH at juniata.edu
Sat Mar 30 07:53:13 PDT 2024

I know that distinguishing Aralia spinosa (native to North American east coast) from Aralia elata (invasive in Mid Atlantic region) can be somewhat challenging in the growing season. Is anyone aware of any traits that can be used in the winter? The prickles, buds, and leaf scars don't look obviously different to my very limited experience, but maybe someone else has observed something more closely?

(I'm also guessing A. elata tends to occur in denser stands, but that's not a very reassuring way to tell them apart).

Thanks!

—

Norris Z. Muth, Ph.D.

he/him

Professor of Biology, Juniata College
muthlab.org<http://muthlab.org/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The materials in this electronic mail transmission (including all attachments) are private and confidential and are the property of the sender. The information contained in the material is privileged and is intended only for the use of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended addressee, be advised that any unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this material is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to the e-mail, and then destroy it immediately. Thank you.