[MAIPC] FW: A Year for Maryland to Be Proud Of

Imlay, Marc Marc.Imlay at pgparks.com
Fri Dec 22 15:52:32 PST 2017

From: Marc Imlay [mailto:ialm at erols.com]
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2017 6:49 PM
To: Westby, Brooke <Brooke.Westby at pgparks.com>; Ellis, Michael <Michael.Ellis at Pgparks.com>; Lowe, Kyle <Kyle.Lowe at pgparks.com>; Abellera, Jon Paolo <JonPaolo.Abellera at pgparks.com>; Abrams, Amanda <Amanda.Abrams at pgparks.com>; Adams, Michelle <Michelle.adams at Pgparks.com>; Dillon, John <John.Dillon at pgparks.com>; Dolesh, Mike <Mike.Dolesh at pgparks.com>; Garrett, Chris <Chris.Garrett at pgparks.com>; Harley, George <George.Harley at pgparks.com>; Lee, Jill <Jill.Lee at pgparks.com>; Mills, Devin <Devin.Mills at pgparks.com>; Simmonds, Tanya <Tanya.Simmonds at pgparks.com>; Sweet, Benjamin <Benjamin.Sweet at pgparks.com>; Imlay, Marc <Marc.Imlay at pgparks.com>
Subject: FW: A Year for Maryland to Be Proud Of

Protecting Endangered Species, Evicting Invasive Ones, and Dealing with Deer Ticks
[Volunteer Jeanelle Tyson bags up invasive garlic mustard at Magruder Park in Hyattsville.]
What do the Baltimore Checkerspot, the Grey Petaltail, and the Eastern Hellbender have in common? All have great names--and all are threatened in Maryland. In 2017 the Maryland Sierra Club's Endangered Species team began compiling data on which to base a statewide strategy for promoting biodiversity.

Some species, on the other hand, are quite the opposite of endangered. In fact, invasive plants are the biggest threat to biodiversity after loss of habitat and water pollution. Enter our interns, who work alongside Sierra Club leaders and Park personnel learning to identify native plants versus invasive weeds, how to remove them, and how to run an invasive plant removal outing. In 2017, 45 interns and volunteers from the Chapter's College Park office put in 620 hours to fill over 96 bags with invasive weeds such as bush asiatic honeysuckle, garlic mustard, multiflora rose, and wavyleaf basketgrass, saving hundreds of types of native plants and animals.

Interns also helped develop a process to assess and publicize which parks are safest to hike in during peak Lyme disease season. Based on the fact that deer ticks are scarce where deer density is the naturally occuring twenty per square mile or less, this process has now been adopted in Pennsylvania and other states. The students followed up by creating a brochure<http://click.emails.sierraclub.org/?qs=5650b682a19fac8418c0e15328107c595cc54a2e9a4a9add0951cc8ef486d8cae12d088c6809bfa2371b213627860d8e18315bd81d52d0bb> to educate the public about the connection between deer overpopulation and Lyme disease.

In 2017, 26 interns worked hard side by side with staff and volunteer leaders, protecting our local parks and gaining real-world experience in other aspects of running a grassroots nonprofit<http://click.emails.sierraclub.org/?qs=5650b682a19fac8438a98148dfcd0d0aa0458bbb2cb613cc251a51cbf4597f917fb4dc7245abc646b9818d82b65cd46dfbecc894a7b68dd6>. For some, the experience is life-changing, helping to form the next generation of activist leaders. Meet some of our summer interns  here<http://click.emails.sierraclub.org/?qs=5650b682a19fac84e4834bac04b6092ce4595b77228476343c6abd41eb8c8b8d6bac0dff15d2cd50cf23388c018ecfe776ed79674ed3b6ec>. We appreciate their efforts on behalf of Maryland's wild places.