[MAIPC] triclopyr and glyphosate

Mary Travaglini marytravaglini at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 7 08:37:25 PST 2018

Scott and others:
Highly recommend going to this link and clicking on the presentation by Lloyd Hipkins--despite the name about aquatic vegetation, the slides are all about pH and effectiveness of herbicides.  http://www.lcamddcva.org/?page=PesticideHandouts

Yes, they will lose effectiveness the longer they sit on the shelf, so buy what you can use, vs what can be stored, if possible. Temperature is likely a factor, but your water pH and the actual growth stage of each plant are the most critical variables. Soil temperature and air temperature are two different things. If a pesticide is a growth regulator and applied to a plant that has actively growing roots in cold weather (i.e. a tree) my logic would say it's going to stunt/damage root growth, to the point that perhaps the plant will be weakened or killed, but if the stem is not actively moving liquid to it's roots, then it won't get into the roots from a frill or cut stump application.
So hard to know what exactly the plant is "doing" when we we apply a pesticide! I always cut stumped ivy in cold weather, but as an evergreen, it should have been moving liquids up and down and that seemed to help. I also cut stump painted many other things in winter, and that was often usually pretty effective. I'm sure if we had measured it, there may have been more resprouting from things cut and painted in cold weather (and if they spread by runners, absolutely the cold weather cut stump were probably just a pipe dream of hope).
It would also be helpful to call the manufacturer and ask if they tested the product after crystallization on the same plants to see if they had the same effectiveness as the original product. We know we can dilute water based paint that got a little tacky and the color and application will be back to normal, too. But what about the Garlon 3A?
:) Mary