[MAIPC] Native meadows

Marc Imlay ialm at erols.com
Wed May 27 06:20:00 PDT 2015

From: Bruckart, William [mailto:William.Bruckart at ARS.USDA.GOV]
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 8:44 AM
To: ialm at erols.com
Subject: RE: [INVASIVES] [MAIPC] Native meadows

Hi Mark,

Not sure who Bob is, but I’ll put in my $0.02.  Bull thistle is biennial and simply keeping it from seeding will, when the seed bank is depleted, be controlled.  Canada thistle is a perennial.  Mowing will have an effect, but other treatments should be included to speed the process.  The rust disease that Dana Berner promoted is effective as far as I know, but it takes a few years before a patch is eliminated.  Attached is a paper that addresses effects of mowing and biological control for Canada thistle.  Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Bill

William L. Bruckart, III

USDA, ARS, FDWSRU